It’s all too easy to think that your kid would never go to a site that shows inappropriate pictures. However, I know from personal experience how easy it is to accidentally stumble onto things that your eyes can never “un-see”. If an adult can unintentionally find this stuff, then kids are even more susceptible. That’s why we as parents need to take steps to insure this does not happen.
Here are some things to keep in mind as you protect your kids’ internet access:
- Keep all computers/internet accessible electronics in common areas of the home. No internet in bedrooms, bathrooms or other hidden areas of the home.
- Make sure your kids know not to share personal info with anyone online.
- Don’t forget to monitor your child’s online history.
- No internet after a specific time at night.
- Set up parental controls on each internet accessible device. Don’t forget about those tablets, smart phones, e-reading devices, and DS devices!